Thursday, May 17, 2012

My Mini-Nanosecond-Haters-Rant... yes, on a soapbox!... Ok, maybe it's over a nanosecond.


Boo! I'm frustrated today.  

Me using my
gangsta haters
hand signals
It stinks to encounter people who want to tell me that my new behaviors aren't healthy and are hard.  I hear the fear in their voices that's masked with concern as they tell me how I should eat.  I hear the ridicule in their tone as they imply that I'm doing something that's extreme and on the fringe of society.  I felt like an outcast, the way I was treated today.  And it sucks to hear these things from family members.  It makes me feel like I can't share my excitement. Like I should just keep it all to myself.  Like I should keep all my behaviors the same as they've been in the past, and the same as everyone else so that they feel safer.  Boo! 

Well, I won't. 

And I disagree with their opinions. It just really felt like I was bullied today... bullied with words, angry words. NO LIKE!

And to refute my interest and excitement regarding Forks Over Knives, I've been referred to a website which is someone's personal opinion/blog/critique of the movie.  As though one person's blog is going to change everything I've read in The China Study (by noted scientists who spent their lifetimes studying patterns of large scale societies that all point to a healthy, plant based diet), Prevent & Reverse Heart Disease (by a successful cardiologist who has clinical research and evidence to show how this type of lifestyle can be healthy and healing if done correctly), The Engine 2 Diet (written by a vegan triathelete), additional literature, as well as everything I've seen in a plethora of documentaries.  It's not like I'm taking up some current fad.  It's not like I'm saying, "Well today it's veganism, tomorrow it's Atkins, next week it's South Beach Diet, and maybe after that I'll try the Sun Stare."  No!  I'm taking up a lifestyle change that is making me healthier.  And, not only that, I made this decision with foresight, research, and with doctors' advice.  I've spoken to two doctors and even signed up with a "Vegan/Vegetarian" support group! 
 "Seriously??!?" you might ask.  "Yes, seriously," I reply.  It almost seems like you need a support group for becoming vegan for all the flack you get.  So Lame!

So Haters, just so you know... Here's the low down on protein in veggies.  Here's the lowdown on calcium in a veggie/legume/whole foods diet...... Wait I don't have it memorized yet so that I can rattle it off... Must look up in a book... wait for it, wait for it...... Ok, I'll get back to you on that because it's taking me away from the exciting momentum of my rant.

Ok, now back to the rest of the more-than-a-nanosecond rant......

Also, today when I tried to stick up for myself and let the haters know that I decided for myself that I don't want to eat animals anymore and hurt animals anymore, they pointed out that I was wearing a leather belt.  Sheesh!  I'm not perfect yet! I'm still learning here.  I'm doing the best I can, and I can't afford to buy a whole new wardrobe yet.  Seriously!  I know that this is a part of going plant-based. But really?! I was then told I "couldn't take a joke".  Yeah. real. funny. joke.  I was also told a story  of a lady who decided to have a diet of pure sunshine and air, and that she died.  It was meant as a comparison to what I was doing.  Nice. Yeah, nice comparison and nice story. Really heart warming.  I just wish that others would think before they say these words, and instead say words of kindness.  I like that Ellen Degeneres always says at the end of her show, "Be kind to one another."  That would be nice instead of the alternative.








Boo. Hiss. Grrrr. ROAR! gRRR. hissssss....

Ok. Stepping off the soap box now.

No comments:

Post a Comment