Friday, June 15, 2012

Spices!


June 14, 2012


What I've noticed with this new vegan diet is that spices are ESSENTIAL. Essential, I tell you!  The first time I cooked up some beans and rice, I thought, "Wait, this is it? Bland beans? This is what I will be eating for the rest of my life???"  Little did I realize, or even know, that it isn't necessary to have a bland, unexciting diet in order to be vegan.  Actually and surprisingly, it is exactly the opposite.  Food gets even better once you navigate how to cook. (Yes, I’m actually learning how to really cook for the first time too! Woohoo!!!)

So today, I went out food shopping with my nutrition "mentor" and I spiced it up, baby!!! Actually, to me, it felt like I spiced it up; but it was probably more like I was buying spices for the first time in my life.  Lol.  I've always used salt, pepper, and garlic powder, and that was always the extent of it.  So funny that I didn't realize that there are sooooooooooooooooooo many spices out there.

So this week, my mission (if I choose to accept it… hehehe…yes, my food experience IS mission possible)… So anyways, my mission this week is to experiment with and explore the wide world of spices…. Even if I’m just experimenting with the basic ones…. Mmmmm…

Soooo, this is me with spices...


  This is me with 21 seasonings (care of Trader Joes)...



This is me with All Spice.  I always thought all spice was a spice you put on hot chocolate.  lol. But really, I thought that!










Random.  This is me with Miso.  Yes, I will be making up some miso soup soon!!! Yes, up in here!!!

2 comments:

  1. I have never heard of 21 seasonings. I had to go and look it up! There's a lot of stuff crammed into that little jar. I definitely think I need to pick up some this the next time I go to Trader Joes. Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! And it's so good with everything!!! Mmmmmm. I think it's only $1.99 at TJs :). Do it. Now. hehehe

    ReplyDelete